Keep it Cool with a Summer Charcuterie Board
Here in the Pocono Mountains, we are looking at a scorcher of a summer with record-high temperatures predicted. Why not give your oven (and yourself) a break by preparing a charcuterie board for dinner? Breezily thrown together, meat and cheese boards are a staple of summer dining and entertaining. And they pair quite well with wine, if you ask us!
Our Pizzeria staff have been dreaming up the ultimate cheese plate combinations for years. Scroll down to check out their suggestions on how to build your own!
1. Variety is the spice of life. Use multiple types of cured meats, cheeses, and crackers as the anchors of your board.
2. Add something fresh. A nice bunch of grapes, a handful of blueberries, or a row of apple slices will add a fresh pop to your other cured and preserved elements.
3. Do not underestimate the power of a good spread! A smear of apricot preserves, a dollop of grainy mustard, a drizzle of balsamic reduction: this sticky, jammy goodness serves as a flavor bridge, connecting the rest of your board together.
4. Lean into the accompaniments – yes, you need them. Take a step back from your board and find every nook and cranny of empty space left between the meat, cheese and crackers. Now, fill that space with olives, dried fruits, and nuts.
5. Be thoughtful on presentation. Half the fun of a charcuterie board is putting it together. Go for an attractive board or serving dish. Arrange elements in curved rows or neat piles. Add sprigs of seasonal herbs and other decorative garnishes.
Voila! A crowd-pleasing summer treat made without any direct-heat cooking!
We would love to see your charcuterie board creations. Share a picture and tag @sorrentifamilyestate. Bonus points if you feature a glass of Sorrenti Family Estate wine! We will repost on our Facebook and Instagram!